Monday, October 26, 2009

The Rest of Fall Break

The rest of Fall Break was fantastic! Andrew, Chelsea and I went thrifting (one of my favorite things to do). I got two cute pairs of shoes (note the cute yellow ones which were $1.49- the others were $0.98) and a cute pair of jeans for $1.98. All looked brand new. Gotta love good deals that are also sustainable.


Then on Saturday, Andrew and I went to the Memphis Flea Market to check out the vendors. I got a great used Field Guide on Insects and Spiders of the US and North America. I've already read quite a bit. There wasn't a great abundance of craftiness though which was a bit disappointing. All the same, it was still fun. That night we hit up the Memphis Grizzlies game courtesy of some free club level tickets so that was a lot of fun.



After the weekend in Memphis, we headed home and Andrew kept on movin' towards school. Monday, Dad and I went to the Big ATL to see Sam in a scrimmage game at GT and spend some time with him over dinner. It was wonderful! I really miss getting to spend time with him and I have to admit, I was really proud of him playing out there on the big field (starting shortstop for the Gold Team). (Proud sister.... can't help it) There he is #31 up to bat. I love seeing the skyscrapers over the fences of the field. That night we drove home, spending some quality time chatting in the car. Great memories :)

The next day, Mom and I met for a tasty lunch at Cafe Calypso, which is always oh so tasty! And then went to look for bridesmaids' dresses and FOUND ONE that is perfect. It's a bit nontraditional and pretty fantastic and it's also a secret so you should come to the wedding to find out what it looks like. Mom is very good luck for such things apparently. We both picked out the exact same dress in different parts of the store and both ran over to show the other at the same time. Pretty great! :)

In other news, Rhodes is writing a news story on my sustainability and simple living class that is going to go out on a national level! Pretty exciting since I am so passionate about such stuff. They are sending a big photographer and such to the class to take some pictures and I have been talking to a reporter at an advertising firm somewhere far away. Hopefully the story really will be published and I will let you know details when I can. The class itself is really going well as well. Though it's not a Christian-based group, I hope it helps teach people the ideas that Jesus lived out and helps to challenge and strengthen their own beliefs. The other day a student came over after class and said, "You know Allison, I think Jesus has to be the ultimate example for simple living and for this class." I was happy in the least to hear that the connection was being made. Jesus was all about the simple living.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Allison! My name is Jamie and I'm contacting you from Cookware.com to see if you might be interested in either reviewing a free product from our site on your blog OR giving a product away to one of your readers. Let me know if you're interested in learning more! Keep up the great work! jsward@csnstores.com

Jamie

NN said...

Those are the bestest shoes ever! Also, congratulations on the great job you're doing with your sustainability class. You rock!
-ASZ

Allison said...

Thanks Philosophastra! I thought they were a pretty fabulous find myself :)