Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gone for a long time....

Now back with two posts in one day! So as I mentioned earlier, I really want to commit to a more natural, homemade, hopefully simpler way of life. It will hopefully make me healthier, increase energy, help the environment, and save money (at least in some areas). Efforts thus far:

1. I have been looking for a good, natural deodorant for a while as I've heard that the aluminum in most deodorants has really bad side effects, especially in the long term. I have tried Tom's Original Aluminum-Free deodorant, but it didn't work at all. It definitely didn't fight my odor. But good news, Tom's has now come out with long-lasting formula (pictured here, sorry for the blurry pic) and it works! Or at least it has worked thus far. I have the apricot scent, which is wonderfully light and fresh, but they have about four different scents including unscented. So... attempt one at a more earthy lifestyle: success- at least for now. I'll let you know in a month if my pits have gotten stinky :)



2. In search for a natural shampoo, I found a recipe for some homemade shampoo and decided to try it out. Really though, this shampoo is "No'Poo." It's a shampoo free method that keeps those nasty chemicals in shampoo away from our bodies, but still cleans your hair. I got the idea from a friend's blog and did some personal research and then decided to try it out. The recipe and instructions:

1. Use an old shampoo bottle. Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water. Shake well to mix (every time you use it since it will separate).


2. Squeeze the baking soda solution onto your dry scalp, then massage your scalp for about 30 seconds. Don't worry about cleaning your hair- just your scalp. Leave in for 1-3 minutes, then rinse completely.

3. Mix 1 part white vinegar with 4 parts water.
You can also add essential oils or herbs - I added some vanilla extract. It covers up the vinegar smell, which is great since I didn't want to smell like a pickle.

4. Cover your hair and leave it on hair for several seconds and then rinse.
My No'Poo is above. I've only used it once, but my hair feels so good I had to go ahead and post about it! I can't keep my hands out of my hair. It is soft and clean! I'll let you know how this "No-Poo" goes. I know different people use different recipes with the same ingredients so I will let you know what works best for my hair. I've also read that it sometimes takes a couple of weeks or more for your hair to adjust so I'll keep you updated on that too. Let me know if you try it out and how it goes! Attempt two at all-natural: success.

For now, that's about it. I've also found a great recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies which I tested out tonight on Andrew and his roommate. They can't stop eating them so I will be posting that recipe soon! Till then....

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Check out
http://www.beautytruth.com/

Your eyes will be opened to all KINDS of things about beauty products!! Its a great site and I know Rose Marie...she's great!! She's based in NYC and is totally into RAW vegan food. Good to hear from you!!