Monday, August 17, 2009

Face Wash


One thing I really want to change on behalf of my more natural routine is my face wash. I have very acne-prone skin and thus have run the gamut on prescription and over the counter face washes, topical gels, and even oral antibiotics. I've tried lots of different natural treatments, but none seem to work. My most recent attempt was Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Cream (pictured above). I used this face wash for about 10 weeks. At first, I thought it was going to be the answer to my prayers. It seemed to reveal moisturized, balanced, acne-free skin, but after a week of using it, my face began to break out again. Hoping that this was just a "transition" phase for my face, I continued to use it. Ten weeks later, however, my face was horribly broken out and I was running back to my former and most successful face wash (in terms of clearing up my acne), ProActiv. (Note: This seems like it would be a great face wash for those without lots of acne.) While I wish I could say I am satisfied with ProActiv, I cannot. I know deep inside that it is tearing up the natural oils in my skin, which I want to protect. The chemicals in it are definitely NOT NATURAL and it's pretty pricey at that. So that said, I need some ideas.... calling all ideas for a natural facewash that is inexpensive and effective for acne-prone skin. If you know of any good ones, please let me know. Meanwhile, I will be researching some at-home concoctions that I can test out.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hey Allison, it's really funny you should blog about this today, because just this past weekend I started a new skin care thing. I also have very acne prone skin, and HATE all the chemical solutions I've tried. So, I did some research and am starting an all natural routine based on essential oils. I actually purchased the oils separately and made the solutions myself this weekend. After 2 days of using them, my skin feels wonderful, and I can already see a reduction in breakouts. Who knows about the long term effects, but I feel better using them. Here's what to do: use pure grapeseed oil as a carrier oil, and then get essential oils of clove, bergamot, tea tree, and lavender. You'll also need rosewater, which you can make or buy. Make two separate solutions- use 1 ounce grapeseed oil, and in one add 10 drops lavender and 7 drops tea tree oil. In the other, use 1 ounce grapeseed and add 2 drops bergamot and 3 drops clove. Use a cottonball to apply these to your face. To make a face wash- use equal parts lemon juice and rosewater. Let it stay on your skin for a couple minutes before washing off with warm water. Use the other solutions afterward. You can also try witch hazel, which you can buy almost anywhere. You'll have no need for separate moisturizers since the grapeseed oil does wonders without clogging pores. Hope that helps!! (If you want, I can make some for you and send it your way)