Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Part II of the Weekend


Friday night continued on... I staffed the GlobeMed booth at The Vagina Monologues, which I also attended. The Vagina Monologues is a play that raises awareness about the sexual violence towards women that occurs in the world every day. It was very enlightening and very well written and performed in general so I suggest you go see it in your area if you get the chance. It spoke to the forms of torture during war that include rape and sexual assault of women in areas such as the Congo.






Saturday and Sunday, I woke up bright and early and headed to Peace Jam where hundreds of high school students gathered to hear from Nobel Peace Laureate Shirin Ebadi of Iran and discuss how we can bring peace to our communities and the world. I had the privilege of serving as a "mentor" to a "family group" or high schoolers. We got to get down to the nitty gritty of what was going on. It was SO inspirational to hear these high schoolers speak to the passions in their hearts.


We also participated in a service project on Saturday. I painted signs like this with the word "Unity" in six different languages. They will be put out in a nearby neighborhood that really struggles with violence.



Got to hear about the ongoing service projects that the students at the conference were leading.





Saw an Iranian dancer and danced a little ourselves.



Did some free style rapping about peace and love.



Attended workshops... I went to one about the environment. I'll have to share what I learned soon!


Played some group games to build trust.


Talked about what we learned.


And left inspired, motivated, educated, and ready to take action!
(That's me with Shirin.)

Promising solidarity with Iran's efforts for peace.

4 comments:

mrs. c said...

There are tears in my eyes at what you are doing to help others, i am so proud that you are such a wonderful woman of strong moral character.

Allison said...

thanks aunt kathy! that means a lot :) hopefully it was inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend, Allison! You rock. :-)

Allison said...

thanks girl! you're pretty awesome yourself ;)