Saturday, May 9, 2009

Piazza Armerina and Yummy Dinner

Yesterday, we took our last and final field trip to Piazza Armerina. It is a very well preserved, very big Roman villa with some of the best mosaic examples of this time period in the world. It was absolutely beautiful and fun to see. In addition, the weather has been wonderful- about 76 degrees everyday. Can't get much better than that. I then spent the rest of the afternoon studying for my upcoming exams. And for dinner, we went to the fish market which turns into restaurants at the end of the day. They sell all of the fresh fish they didn't sell during the day. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! I have pictures and will try to post those soon, but the menu-- for antipasti, I had an insalata polpo (a squid salad). It's basically just fresh squid cut up with lemon. So tasty! Then for my second course, I had Squid Ink Spaghetti, which comes out black, but is so tasty as well! All of these things are very popular in Sicily and very renowned here so I had to try them. They were great. And for the third and final course, I asked which fish the man preferred and he in an attempt to explain went and got three fish from off the ice, still whole and such and brought them to our table. I pointed at one and think I picked Sea Bass or something. Whatever it was, it was fabulous too. They just throw the whole fish on the grill with some sea salt and then bring it out. With all of this, we had some white wine. The dinner was fantastic and the company was great! A lot of the girls I have become really close with here came. It was just a great night as I try to really soak in my last week here in Catania. (Can you believe it?! One week!)

Tonight, we are going to Syracuse to see the Medea performed in Syracuse's ancient Greek theater. There's also a supposedly great museum in Syracuse that we will have time to go to if we want. So I may hit that up or I may have a grinita- an Italian ice dessert that is so wonderful! I like strawberry and lemon mixed. Anyways, have a great weekend everyone! Wish me luck on my exams and prayers are always appreciated!

No comments: