Thursday, March 12, 2009

Quando sono andata a Roma...

So this weekend's trip to Rome was such a beautiful whirlwind of awesomeness. :) On Friday morning, we left super early for a field trip to Gela in Southern Sicily. There was an awesome museum at which we could not take pictures so sorry for that, but they had some great ancient vases and coins. Very cool for the Classics nerd like myself. Then we rode the bus straight to the airport thanks to Nigel (our head professor) and off we went to Rome.


It was a great trip filled with lots of walking and lots of sensory overload. It's unbelievable how much history and art one city has to offer. I kept seeing all of these things that I had learned about at Rhodes or in European History with Mrs. Stewart. She would have been proud. My favorite part of the whole trip was Vatican City. I love the Renaissance period and loved seeing St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican Museum, and the Sistine Chapel. They were all absolutely beautiful (I use that word too much on this blog, but that pretty much describes everything). Click here to see all of my pictures. I was able to see The Coliseum, Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, the Ara Pacis, the Roman Forum, the famous Marcus Aurelius statue (of him riding on the horse), Piazza del Popolo, the Medici Villa, Museo Borghese which is host to the most famous Bernini sculpture which were UNBELIEVABLE and some Caravaggio among other things, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Trajan's Column, the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, the Arc of Constantine, and even went to Trastevere (the hip place) for dinner one night. I had a filet covered in truffle sauce- YUM! But that probably just sounded like a long list of confusion so be sure to check out the pictures.

This morning I taught English again. It was great- my favorite one yet! The teacher's phone rang and she mysteriously disappeared for about 30 mins so since we were learning how to describe our physical traits, I just started describing people in the room or making up silly people. By the time the teacher returned, all of the kids were giggling and begging for more :)

This weekend we are going on our first overnight field trip to Agrigento. It has some of the best preserved ancient temples so I'm getting excited. Then next week, my friend Jackie is coming to visit. WOOHOO!! I am trying to think of some fun things to do including a marionette show on Monday night. Puppet shows are still a big tradition in Sicily. Then it's Spring Break.... oh man, I think I'm getting a little ahead of myself. :) Hope all is well! Love, Allison

No comments: