Wednesday, January 28, 2009

vivo in sicilia!


me with all of my luggage about to check-in in Nashville

So I have made it to Sicily all in one piece. The flights were a little hectic... I was the last person to board two of my flights. I had to run through two airports just to make my flights- one of which a cargo van came and picked me up and rushed me out to the plane. I also had to skip about 100 people in the customs waiting line in Rome. But some really nice people seeing the exasperated look on my face and somewhat grasping the "I have 15 mins till my flight leaves" moved aside and let me cut. Thanks random people, you made my day :) So though I made it to Catania, apparently my luggage did not so it's hopefully on its way. Meanwhile, my new -very nice- roommate is letting me borrow anything I need as I wait patiently for my stuff. (but it's only stuff after all and they have copies of our books in the library). But back to getting to the school and such. so below is a picture of the giant volcano right beside our school! it is beautiful. I think we get to go hike up it soon. i saw it out of the airplane coming into Catania.


Then we (me and a girl from the program who was on the same flight whose luggage also disappeared) grabbed a cab. Drivers here are INSANE. They weave in and out of traffic- go in the shoulders and UP ON THE SIDEWALKS if people are in the way. It was nuts. The cab driver was really nice and tried to talk to us while I spoke in Spanish/Italian muttering :) He even knocked off part of the cab fee cause I didn't have 1 euro pieces.

Then we finally arrived to school where I got my room. It is really nice and super clean. I share a bedroom with one other girl. We have two desks, two beds and two wardrobes and unlimited internet so e-mail me! I unloaded what I had took a nap and met some people as they came in. Tonight my roommate and suite mate went walking around town. There were lots of cute "bars" (American equivalent cafes) and some really good chocolate and gelatto shops. We grabbed some pizza at a pizza place which was REALLY good- probably a frequent go to for lunch. :) Now we are about to go to our "opening dinner." Hope it's good and hope there's lots of it. love and prayers.

4 comments:

nana said...

Hey, Alli!! Glad you are "settled" in in Catonia. I know you are excited and anxious to see everything. Keep us updated! Love you, Nana

Brittany said...

Alli-
We got your sweet note today. I miss you being here in the mornings. Can we talk to you while in Italy? If so, let us know how to contact you. I don't think I know your email. Glad you made it safely. Love you, Brittany

Jen Ross said...

Sounds like you are having quite an adventure! Maybe by this time today, your luggage has arrived and you are able to wear your own clothes and use your own toiletries. ;) I love hearing about your adventures so keep up the good blogging! I miss you, dear heart! Love, Jen

Anonymous said...

crazedcollegegirl.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading crazedcollegegirl.blogspot.com every day.
payday advances
pay day loans