Monday, February 16, 2009

Megara Hyblaea and Acicastello

After a week filled with translating Homer and reading, we all went on our first field trip for our Mediterranean Cultures class. We went to the ancient ruins of Megara Hybalea. Though in the few pictures I have it only looks like a big pile of rocks, it was actually very interesting (surprisingly so). As you began to look closer and closer to the piles of rocks, you started to see the foundations of what used to be houses and public buildings. It was really very interesting to study how colonies are formed and how they progressed since I'm really into the whole community development deal. The trip was a lot of fun minus the fact that everyone "forgot" to pack our lunches when in fact no one knew we were supposed to bring them. But we got back mid-afternoon in time for some tasty sandwiches and pizza. I also had the BEST GELATTO ever- half coconut and half "black" aka dark chocolate. It was like a giant mounds bar. Daddy Brookes would be so proud :)

On Saturday, a bunch of girls and I went out shopping for most of the day time. I got a pair of really cute jeans. (Everyone in Italy-including the men- wear super expensive designer jeans.) So while I am usually not into the whole designer thing, I decided that these would be my souvenier of the trip. I got a pair of $300.00 jeans on sale for $60. They are super cute. A man later that night stopped in the middle of the street, rolled down the window, looks at me and goes "WOW" to which all of my friends laughed and said it was because of the jeans :) That night, Zac (one of the guys at the program) cooked up some yummy dinner and then we had a Valentine's Day party at the dorm.

Sunday, a few of us got up early and went for a enviromental clean-up at the beach of Acicastello, home of the rock where the Cyclops lived in "The Odyssey."

There was a ridiculous amount of trash- the Italians don't really understand the concept of picking up trash. really they have no concept. When we would tell them that we were picking up the trash as an answer to their inquisitive stares, they would simply ask "Why?" But it was lots of fun and we also stopped at a Norman castle that was built along the coast. The area was beautiful (of course)! We also stopped for a great lunch at a resturant near-by. We had some squid, shrimp, appetizer trays filled with cheeses, meats, cooked peppers and mushrooms, etc and some good pasta followed with some coffee. (I'm spoiled I know.) As we left, the owner pulled me aside and said "What a woman!" to which I laughed, said thanks, and left. Then I came back and did lots of studying..... which is what I am going to do now so be sure to check out all the pictures from this weekend here:

Megara Hyblaea- http://picasaweb.google.com/adove87/MegaraHyblaea#

Acicastello- http://picasaweb.google.com/adove87/Acicastello#

I will add captions soon so check in the next day or so again. Unfortunately, I have to get homework done at some point ;)

Love you all! Alli

No comments: